My teacher told us a story of her parents. I absolutely loved it, found great insight from it, and thought I would share:
In the middle of The Great Depression her mother and father lived on a little farm here in Utah. Like most at this time, they were unable to make ends meet. At night her father would sneek on the train and go town to town looking for work and send anything he made home to his wife and six children. Her mother took care of the farm and everything that went along with it. They had one horse and in the middle of the night something scared the horse and it went running. It ran right into a barbwire fence and slashed it's chest. The wound was very deep and her mother knew that the horse would not live if it weren't attended too immediately. They couldn't call for a doctor because this horse what their only mode of transportation. She gathered her children and together they tied the horse down and each of the six children sat on the horse. She took her darning needle and some yarn and began to stitch up the wound. Of course she had no training in such things, and there is no way that those, or any, children could hold this horse during such a procedure, but the horse lived and somehow everything worked out for this family.
I know that we have all heard such stories and think, wow that's cool, but that would never happen to me. Well, know this...hard times are sure to come. In these hard times, I hope we can remember that within us we all have the ability to overcome ANY AND EVERY SITUATION!! When you are faced with something you are sure is too much to bare, remember this phrase, "Sew up your horse!" Although we will probably will never face a thing such as this, we will face our own situations where we are sure that this is it, and there is no overcoming. YOU CAN DO IT!! God has given us each the power we need to get through anything. Trust in Him, and "SEW UP YOUR HORSE!"
Sister Jennifer Harper Returning July 28th
15 years ago




5 comments:
It's funny because that's what we talked about in church on Sunday. Several people had situations where they said people kept asking them, "How are you doing this?!" And they just shrugged. You just do it. Looking back, they realize it was a miracle that they got through it. We can't see ourselves being strong until we need to be. Then we don't see ourselves being strong because we feel like we're just doing what needs to be done. After all has calmed down, you realize you've done something extraordinary and that you weren't alone.
Thanks for sharing! What a great story. I am sure that harder times are on the way. I get nervous sometimes thinking about it. Thanks for your testimony on trusting the Lord and how He will take care of us! It is true. Its great to hear and be reminded of.
Wow, I really needed to hear that! Thanks! So why aren't you guys hanging out with us right now? I'm pretty sure you should be!
Today in Relief Society, the teacher mentioned how God doesn't just hand us an elephant and say "Here, eat this right now." Instead we are to accomplish great things (not neccessarily eating elephants) one day or "bite" at a time. I like to think of it as "One Diet Coke at a time":) CONGRATULATIONS! I remember how good it felt to get accepted into my nursing program. We are really proud of you!
thank you angela! i just linked you to my page so i can keep up with your blog! congrats on getting into the early education program!
Post a Comment